Monday, June 2, 2014

Rest in Peace


I was blessed to know him. 

I was blessed to help care for him. 

I was blessed to love him. 

and 

I am not the only person who was touched by him.

So many people stopped to pay their respects. 

To offer encouragement and condolences for the loved ones left behind. 

Rest In Peace
Dorsey T Rich

Go rest high on that mountain.

********************************************

Now a word of advice. 

DO NOT PUT IT ASIDE.

I heard so many times yesterday

He cut my hair when I was little.
I remember him cutting my Dads hair.
When my Dad was sick, he came to the house to cut his hair.
I used to drop by the Barber shop just to visit, if he was alone, I often found him studying his ss lesson.
I came through Royston the other day and thought, "I should stop and see Dorsey"

If someone made a difference in your life (or a loved one's life), by all means take the time to let them know.
Even if you think they won't remember you.
Even if you really did not KNOW them yourself. 

It does not have to be a lengthy visit.
Or a visit at all, even a card will do. 

I had some one tell me about a man once, "he was so good to my Mama"
My response "call him- or drop by and see him - just tell him THANK YOU" 
As of right now, I don't think that has happened. 

Coulda - woulda - shoulda
those words frustrate me. 

Are we really too busy to take a few minutes and make a phone call?
Send a card? 
Drop by? 
Send a flower? 
 OR 
have we simply lost sight of encouraging people by letting them know that it matters

********************************
Helen Duncan - ended a visit with us the other afternoon with a phrase that I may adopt.

Frail - body stooped over - voice barely audible

She spoke softly as she hugged me.

"I appreciate you"

Three words that require no long term visit or commitment, but they convey so much encouragement, so much grace, and kindness. 

Just think about it. 

And do not put off letting someone know that they made a difference.

LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL









No comments: