Thursday, February 26, 2015

Still Choosing Love ----


A little over six years ago today, I got a nine line text message on my phone.

I remember so much about this because I was on my way to a small country church. 
It was the same day we buried Irvin Moore,  my Aunt's Brother.

It was also one of the most difficult messages I have ever received. 

My oldest daughter.
Methodist raised, baptised in middle school.
Was choosing to become a member of
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

and she delivered the news by text message. 

I was devastated. 
I cried for two freaking weeks. 

I know - it could have been much more devastating news. 

I cried. 
I held one massive pity party. 
I questioned my parenting (what did I do wrong?)
I prayed.
I talked to her boyfriend's mom (he was Mormon) 
I went to the scripture. 
I talked to my friend Raesha (oh thank you big time for her) (she is Mormon)
I went to the scripture.

I was repeated reminded by that same scripture that God is in control. 

And every day, I chose love. 

Her Dad and I went to her Baptism.
Little sister did not. 
She did not agree with the decision either, and I was not about to MAKE her go.
We did not stay for the party afterwards.
I saw no reason to celebrate.
I was only choosing to love.

It's been six years.

The photo above is from her "RING CEREMONY" 
A gathering to allow her family and friends to be a part of her wedding day. 
To this day, I refer to it as the fake wedding.

I did not get to witness the actual wedding, because I am not Mormon and therefore not allowed in the temple. 

There will be children.
They will be presented (or whatever the faith calls it) in the temple.

I will not be there. I am not Mormon and therefore not allowed in the temple. 

These details hurt.
I will not pretend that they do not. 

But I also know that her decisions could have been much worse. 
And God is in control. 

She is now married. 
A Chemistry Grad Student at UGA
Active in her congregation.
Working.
Saving.
Mommy to two pups.
And still one of the greatest loves of my life. 

I chose love.

Over and over and over and over. 

Because she is my child.

I did not have to understand her decision
I did not have to agree with her decision

I do have to respect her decision. 

And by choosing to LOVE through the transition of that change, 
we set a pattern of choosing love in lots of situations.

And she is still a very active part of my life. 

I could have taken other paths through it.
But I might have lost her being a large everyday part of my life
And that would have been a real tragedy. 

Molly, I Love You. 
I always will. 




1 comment:

Kim Nolan said...

Wow Teresa. My oldest did the same thing. They went to the temple that morning and then that night we had a wedding so our family could be there with them. That's been 13 years ago and I still don't understand but I don't hold it against him. My children are 31,29 and 22 and I love them with everything that I am.