Wednesday, December 17, 2014

And so it is Christmas....


Jones Chapel UMC Family Life Center

it felt like old times last night

early on there was a buzz of activity

the moving of tables and chairs

bringing the poinsettias from the church sanctuary

laughter as a team worked together to get ready for a series of Christmas gatherings in this building

the building - a dream of Buddy Coile from MANY MANY years ago.

he started a small savings budget for this building and the quiet dream grew and grew

now we gather here to worship and celebrate many moments.

I was a part of the team getting this ready

have been for many years

and just like so many times

Last night I found myself finishing up a detail or two in this building alone

and suddenly it becomes Christmas for me

it has happened like this so many times

in the quiet

hustle and bustle of the workers now finished

doors locked

me padding around in sock feet - tying this bow, turning a flower to face correctly

sweeping the floor

wiping off a table

preparing to celebrate the BABY

and every single time

i feel the emotion

a young pregnant girl
a man not sure what to do
both not knowing how to proceed
both hearing and leaning on the angel's delivered words
TRUSTING
that GOD has this all planned

an innkeeper - no room - but offering what he has
a stable - animals - but fresh straw
think about that
a barn - animals moving
the scents of farm life
and fresh straw
not exactly a royal place is it

a Babe
born in the night
wrapped in swaddling cloths
laying in the feed tray

Wise Men
they studied the writings
studied the skies
noticed the new star
knew that was a sign
left to seek what the sign must be
hoping that it was fulfilling the promise of HOPE proclaimed

and shepherds
watching the sheep in the field 
a fire amid them
maybe food being served
not prepared at all for a sudden appearance 
of ANGELS
then simply leaving those fields and immediately coming to see the infant

and then telling EVERYONE they encountered 
about their ANGEL encounter
and about the BABE

that's where I found myself 
where I find myself every single year

in the still
the quiet
the post decor frenzy
sitting
recalling the story
waiting 
waiting for the CHRIST CHILD
and wondering what my role will be in the story

Last night a single tear
dropped onto the sheet of the manger

was it joy

or sadness

or some of both

and some of so much more

I do know for sure
I prayed for much
and many
I prayed thanksgiving
and grace
and strength
and hope

I prayed again that all can see

the gift of the Christ Child was meant for you and me. 

MERRY CHRISTMAS






No comments: