Monday, December 22, 2014

Merry Christmas


I am vulnerable right now.

My attitude about Christmas as the celebration of excess is negative. 

Gimme stuff, shopping for stuff, gifting of stuff
decorate the tree, wrap the stuff, sit together under that tree and open the stuff
throw away the packaging and wrapping of the stuff
watch as the stuff gets tucked in a drawer - ignored
watch as the stuff gets - set on a shelf  - to collect dust. 
Stuff. 

Last week we lost a loved one. 
Friday we paid our respects to one of the most gracious families I know. 
Saturday, we said goodbye to that loved one. 
Sunday morning found me standing at his grave.
Coming to terms with how this has affected me. 
Then later singing the praises of the newborn King to an audience
that included the Strickland family. 

I cannot begin to describe how it felt to turn around and see them. 

But these words come to mind
Beauty
Sadness
Peace
Struggle
Love
Commitment
Fear
Uncertainty
Faith
Full
Grace

Then the program

and a little Angel kneeling over a doll in a handmade manger
Symbolizing that even the Angels worshipped the new King. 

A teenager playing Mary
who really had no desire to portray that character
(but much like the real Mary made the choice to do this for Jesus)

A man who fought back through addiction portraying Joseph
(a man that I love very much who gave he and his dad a chance at relationship)
(and much like Joseph had no idea what his family was going to look like) 

A merry stage of misfits choosing to sing the good news
(I am one of those misfits - and I am blessed to be a child of the King) 

A room full of observers.
Some full of beauty and grace.
Some wandering in darkness and confusion
Some even cynical at this time

Here's where I am this Christmas

Broken
Blessed
Fearful
Trying
Going through the motions
Wishing things were different
Wondering what happens next
Trying to move forward in life
Battered
Bruised
Sad
Happy
Wanting for something more meaningful
Searching for something
Not knowing what that something might be. 


And as I write this, I realize that those characters
in the reality of the Christ Child's Birth
so many years ago.

They were just like I am today.

Uncertain of the significance
of the future
of the plan

But knowing that life is miraculous

and that the Christ Child is come. 

We all need the Saviour

He's here.
Listen.
Respond. 

GRACE
LET'S ALL GIVE THAT TO ONE ANOTHER.



No comments: