Thursday, November 6, 2014

Mama Norvan's PayDay Box of memories



We knew her as Mama Norvan.

She was special to us all. 

Today I am especially thankful for hours spent with her.

We cleaned out the house after she left us.

I have issues with hoarding keeping things that may be sentimental. 

So as we were cleaning, we found a PayDay candy bar box with the materials for making YO-YO Wreath Ornaments and I took it home (imagine that). 

The Grandchildren all have these ornaments that she made for us. 

Those are sentimental to me. 

And for 19 years now that box has languished in storage. Stuck here. Moved there. You get the picture. 

My word for 2014 has been INTENTIONAL. 
It has been a good word to choose. 
I have made decisions based on this word and completed projects because of the focus it has brought. 

I am cleaning, purging, simplifying my "STUFF" and I happened upon this box again in the last few days , but this time I picked it up and dumped it out. 





This is the photo I posted on Instagram. 
The fabric is polyester. 
I think that means it has at least a million year half life. 
There were some circles already cut.
I used those for a pattern and traced and cut the remaining fabric into circles.

There were needles and thread and even some of the ribbon she cut into hangers for these. 

The strength and spirit of Mama Norvan poured out of the box and surrounded me. 

memories, some beautiful, some bittersweet,  ALL FULL OF LOVE,  hung in the air as I worked. 

The box was damaged and deteriorated, so I sorted and cleaned out bits and tossed the dregs into the trash. I took all the circles - added a few plain cotton balls - the thread,  the few already completed yoyo bits and put them in a plastic box. 

As I waited for choir practice time last night, I started to stitch the yoyo bits. No pressure to finish anything. (hello - I have had this stuff for nearly 20 years - why put pressure on it now) 
 Just a few moments of relaxing stitching. 
A few moments of thinking about life.
About strength.
About grace.
About hope.

My life is changing.
I am finding who I am.
Girls gone onto the next phases of their lives. 
As I discover the serenity within me and seek ways to be centered and peaceful, 
I am finding that I really do like me.

There are side effects of this

I crave being in places that fill me
I crave being around people who build up.
I crave simplicity.
I seek moments to record the blessings of. 

I am blessed beyond measure. 

I will be working my way through this box of STUFF. 
Attempting to create a few of the ornaments. 
Spending time with pleasant memories of a great lady that I loved dearly.

Seems I was right --- this HOARDED box was quite full of sentimental stuff. 

What about that? 


No comments: