Tuesday, October 29, 2013

A whole damn lot

"October's Party"

October gave a party;
The leaves by hundreds came-
The Chestnuts, Oaks, and Maples,
And leaves of every name.
The Sunshine spread a carpet,
And everything was grand,
Miss Weather led the dancing,
Professor Wind the band.

The Chestnuts came in yellow,
The Oaks in crimson dressed;
The lovely Misses Maple
In scarlet looked their best;
All balanced to their partners,
And gaily fluttered by;
The sight was like a rainbow
New fallen from the sky.

Then, in the rustic hollow,
At hide-and-seek they played,
The party closed at sundown,
And everybody stayed.
Professor Wind played louder;
They flew along the ground;
And then the party ended
In jolly "hands around."
George Cooper

This has LONG LONG been a favorite poem for me. Don't know why, but it is. 
Maybe because fall weather in northeast Georgia really feels like that poem and makes me want to party like this.
I took the picture today on a sudden, unplanned "windshield time" road trip for work.
As I noticed the brilliant red - it actually took my breath away. 
Stop - turn around - find place to safely pull over - get out - take picture - talk to the homeowner who lives at this beauty - count the blessings that accompany such an impromptu meeting - share a smile and a few laughs at the crazy picture taking lady - go on my merry way. 
I rode in the sunshine and blue skies with my windows down.
Radio playing country favorites today. 
Tomorrow may be gospel greats - never know with me. 
Trying to sing, but the horrible noise from my clogged, cruddy, infected sinus, sore throat was not cooperating, so I was just listening and thinking. 
Wind in my hair - chasing the loose strands and tucking them back in - thinking how unlikely some people think this would be for me. 
Fully realizing how I am coming full circle to who I really am in the core of my being. 
And finding myself liking that girl a whole damn lot.  
Remembering - riding on the back of daddy's truck - standing behind the cab wind in my face - grinning from ear to ear - laughing with my sister - ducking below an overhanging branch. Yes, I'm remembering her.
Even more than that, I'm re- acquainting myself with her as often as I can.
I went for years without riding with the windows down and I am really not sure why? Might mess my hair? Because air -conditioning is so comfortable? NOT A CLUE? 
But having decided to do these kinds of things - I like them. 

I have a question for you --- 
When is the last time you rode with the windows down? 
When is the last time you ran bare toes across the grass?
When is the last time you stood trying to see what the dog was barking at and saw a tiny little fox (or other critter cross the field)? 
Who was your little girl (or boy)? 
Do you miss that person? I didn't even realize I did.
But I'm finding her again
And I really like that girl a whole damn lot. 






No comments: