Monday, March 3, 2014

why this matters


A childhood friend lost her mama Saturday Night.

Cancer - after a fifteen year fight. 

She was a precious woman. 

She spent years in a difficult marriage and finally walked away. 

Remarried and found a beautiful, beautiful life. 

I looked through pictures this morning. 

This is the one I chose.

Why? 



Because THIS is the woman I knew and loved. 

A wonderful mom. 

Wife to a caring man.

A gentle spirited step mom.

That kind of Grandmother (the one I want to be) 

She remained friends with her ex husband and his family. 

The was forgiveness and joy in her that was visible to everyone she encountered. 

She fought so hard. For so long. And yet she never complained. 

Such a sweet spirit. 

She lived fully - and her's was a beautiful life. 

I have so many memories of this family. 

She will be missed. 

Living beautifully, with forgiveness, gratitude, and joy. 

That's why the flowers are so important. 

It is the symbol of a caring connection with a beautiful life. 

One that includes gratitude, forgiveness, joy, service, thoughtfulness.

These were hand delivered to me this morning.

I know it took time to stop and gather them. 

I know I was being thought of fondly when that was happening. 

I know this matters little to anyone else. 

But my smile is important to someone.

And it matters enough to him to find ways to make that occur. 



No comments: