Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Encourage


And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds
                                                                      Hebrews 10:24-25





I turned 49 yesterday. Now I am really pushing one of those BIG birthday numbers. 

A while back, I was talking to the oldest piece of my heart, my daughter Molly.

She is a runner ---- a serious runner. 

She also knows her mom struggles through every single step of a cardio workout. 

During this recent moment of insanity (aka conversation), I may have stepped outside my body and committed to training for a half marathon. 

We are going to Cordova, Alaska for my 50th birthday - to compete in the Salmon Run. July 2015 ------ 

See - I told you it was a moment of insanity ----

This morning I cried --- big crocodile tears slid down my cheeks. 

The picture above is my 49th birthday gift. Made by my runner daughter for me. A gift I cannot use ---- YET. See she plans on mounting my bibb and finishers medal on this board. 

A subtle item of encouragement for me ---- that I can do this. That she believes in me. That she will be there to see me cross the finish line. 

Knowing that she believes I can and will accomplish this - well that gives me courage and willpower to move forward on some life changes I need to make. 

I spent years sacrificing for my girls. Pushing them to be better. To apply themselves to whatever task is at hand. Encouraging them to be the absolute best they can be.  I have not one single regret for loving them enough to sacrifice. Now I see them as young adults and our relationships are growing and changing. This is a beautiful, natural, wondrous occurrence.

So now I,  for so long the encourager, get to accept encouragement (and practical advice) from my daughter. 

That realization is what made me cry. 

For now - that 13.1 plaque --- well it will hold a training plan to get her middle aged mom ready for her greatest midlife physical challenge.

HELLO PEOPLE --- THAT IS A BEAUTIFUL THING.

life is beautiful ---- every single day - even those days when you have lost your mind and committed to something CRAZY. 






1 comment:

Carrie said...

LOVE IT!

and you. I know you can do it.