Monday, September 23, 2013

I chased the sunset

It rained Saturday. 

We needed the rain. 

I sat on my porch swing and finished a baby blanket. 

After that I had the urge to clean. 

I decided to take a nap and see if the urge passed.

It did. 

Later, close to the sunset hour, I was propped on my bed chatting on the phone. 

I suddenly realize that the sky was vibrantly colored and that it had the makings for a beautiful sunset. 

So out the door I went. 

Bare feet - wet grass - in complete awe of what beauty this moment held.



This was at the road in front of my big barn.

Still on the phone, I tried to describe it. 

Words failed me. 

It looked like the sky was on fire was about the only thing I could say. 

But look at the glow on the still wet pavement. 

I watched for a few minutes after I got off the phone. 

Then I did something really out of the ordinary for me. 

I CHASED THE SUNSET.


I ran back in the house - grabbed a pair of flip flops (southern thing) and my keys.

I drove to the corner where the little store building is. 

Again look at the glow in the puddles. 



Headed west towards town - where I pulled over and watched. 

One man stopped to see if I was ok. 

I really meant it when I said YES 

and pointed - then said "just look" 

The MAN - he though I was nuts. 

Then I turned right and headed to the church - safe parking there to just watch. 


As the colors of the night crept in. 

Just look at it. 

Majesty - worship His majesty. 

Chasing the sunset. 
It left me giddy.
Breathless.
Full of JOY

Let me re state that

FULL OF JOY 

and wonder
and awe.

It felt childlike.
It felt worshipful.
It felt full of grace.
It felt beautiful.

I chased the sunset.
It was good for me. 

I praised God. 

I fell in love with life again.

And the person I was on the phone with. 
They didn't think I was crazy. 

Note - this was God's glory - I did NO editing to these pictures at all. 


Edit - to add ---- yesterday would have been my daddy's birthday. today is the anniversary of his death 33 years ago. But for the first time ever, I am simply celebrating his life and love, I am finally at peace with what happened, who I am today, and where I am on this journey called living. I think he may just be smiling down at me.



No comments: