Sunday, January 11, 2015

On finding myself in awe.......

 
A long time ago, I stood on a cabin porch watching a deer, still in spots, graze the edge of the yard.
 
I found myself in awe.
 
One of my favorite moments.
 
A morning on the beach, watching dolphins frolic in the sea.
 
To this day, I can hear my daddy say "look girls"
 
A pair of fox out behind the barn.
 
Bright red in the morning light.
 
Encounters with wildlife leave me in awe.
 
Being aware of surroundings opens opportunity for awe.
 
And that offers another opportunity to praise the Creator.
 
Note, if you are my Facebook friend, these pictures are not new, but they sure illustrate my thoughts well today.
 
 
 
 

 
The Crusty Old Guy hunts. He also shares information that he has learned from observing and finding himself in awe.
 
I had not been exposed to this kind of experience since my dad died when I was 15.
 
This morning, I was heading to church and way across a field, I saw deer moving.
 
I keep my camera at the ready in my car seat, so I quickly zoomed and got this shot across the field.
 
Nine of them at a dead run across the field, white tails flashing.
 
Something running them for sure.
 
I found myself in awe.
 
Intake of breath.
 
Followed by praise and gratitude for that glimpse.
 

 
A hornets nest. This is over a building on my way to work.
 
I had noticed it several days before I took this picture.
 
This day, I shared it with Walker, the young man I take to the bus each day.
 
We stopped and his eyes lit up with excitement.
 
That look brought me to the recognition of awe, I had shared a wonderful discovery and he was as excited as I .
 
It took me back to my girls and the moment when they really "learned" something.
 
I love being their mom and I watched in awe when they were trying something new.
 
Watching children learn is definitely worthy of awe.
 

 
Anyone who knows me at all knows that I love sunrise and sunset.
 
And hawks.
 
This is the BIG redtail that oversees Serenity Field.
 
Everything about birds of prey brings out awe.
 
Powerful.
 
Observant.
 
Adaptive.
 
Graceful.
 
Too watch one swoop for a meal is well worth the awe I feel.
 
And the hawk is my spirit bird, I always feel a moment of peace when I spot one.
 
Causing me again  to pause and count blessings.

 
And the squirrel.
 
This taken from Charlie Gray's enclosed stand.
 
On New Years Eve, I sat watching five of these guys.
 
Gathering nuts and tucking them away.
 
Scurrying about almost looking like they were playing, yet they were stashing food that will get them through the winter.
 
This one was about 30 yards from me, still for only a moment, but long enough for me to catch him.
 
Holding a bite in his front paws.
 
Sure, they work to store the food, but God provides.
 
And that tiny critter leads into the biggest AWE.
 
God provides.
 
For them.
 
For us.
 
And again I count blessings.
 
AWE.
 
Are you aware of God moments that will leave you in Awe?
 
 


No comments: